Take Me Higher | Clark Hotair Balloon Fiesta

It was around 4 in the morning when I got off the bus in Mabalacat Terminal. I went straight to the 24-hour fastfood chain near the entrance of the terminal for a quick hot choco while I waited for someone to fetch me. Like most of the customers and early travelers at the food chain, I was in Pampanga for the Hotair Balloon Fiesta.

I got excited since it was my first time to attend the said event. A few minutes before 6am, we were there at Omni Aviation Complex, the venue of the event.
The parking area was almost full when we got there. People started pouring in at that early hour to watch the balloons take off. I thought we were early, but once we were inside, my jaw dropped as I saw the big crowd already lined up in the front row of the fence.




With a sea of people in front, I tried to position myself to take a few shots as the balloons were rolled on the ground and were inflated. I winced as I did not have a telephoto lens. Will have to save for that, I guess. 



I was not able to get a pass to be able to shoot the balloons up close since I assumed they were all taken with the great number of people already inside the restricted area. I just had to make the most of my position, behind the many heads in front of me.



Tiptoeing and steadying myself while shooting was one difficult balancing act. Every time I tried to aim for a shot, a tablet or a gigantic-screen phone was raised in front of my lens! Whew! How frustrating! 


As the balloons started to take off, people got excited and even cheered as the colorful and differently-shaped balloons dominated the sky. 

I personally liked the tulip and firetruck balloons. I think the announcer was giving information about the balloons as they took off but it was inaudible from where I was standing. The voice over just got lost with the  frenzied moment. 



I wish I could fly in one of those. But for a staggering $250 balloon ride, I'd rather hop on a plane to take me somewhere else. :)

















Air shows followed with the Breitling Jet Team as main performers. Excitement grew as the France-based jet team performed breathtaking stunts. They wowed the crowd despite the scorching morning sun with their different formations that showed precision, accuracy and mastery.




We decided to leave the venue after the jet show since it was already very hot and activities were well, getting boring (kite-flying, foodtrips and booth-hopping). We just came back in the evening for the night glow and opm concert.


It was a windy evening so only 3 balloons were inflated and lighted for the night glow while Spongecola rocked out drawing a throng of people to the stage.

To sum it up, as a first-timer, I enjoyed the event. It's not everyday that you get to see colorful hotair balloons decorating the sky. I think it just lacked a bit of festive mood. It was a fiesta after all. I hope it will get more exciting next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...