Sillag: A Festival of Lights | San Fernando La Union

This is a super late post as this festival happened last summer but I think it is still worth the wait. :) 
A first for the province of La Union, "Sillag" an Ilocano term meaning moonbeam, was a festival of lights that was aimed at drawing tourists and locals alike to Poro Point Freeport Zone. Activities such as marine drills, children's show, marching bands started in the morning. I only joined during the evening as I was interested in the lantern fluvial parade, pyromusical show and sky lanterns.

The festival took place in Thunderbird Resort grounds,the Santorini-inspired luxury resort overlooking the azure waters of China Sea. Free rides and shuttle service were provided to the public so the place was jam packed the moment I arrived.




More than 200 boats participated in the Lantern Fluvial Parade starting from the nearby Barangay Pagudpud. Fishing bancas were decorated with colored lights shaped into fishes, flowers and other ornaments that made people guessing as they drew nearer. 

When the boats arrived and dropped their anchors, the lighting of hope lanterns commenced and then released into the sky. Proceeds from the lanterns were donated to GK villages.

It was one magical sight, a first for me and for the people of the province. A scene from the animated film, Tangled became real. It lightens one's feelings actually.

Fly me to the moon.


To close the show, spectators were treated to a quick pyromusical show at around 11pm. I almost missed it as I was already resting thinking it will still be around midnight. I started running outside the car upon hearing the first bang! No time to set up my tripod, my bad! Handheld firework shots for starters..

Over the dome

Three's a charm

Red Night


The festival was a success and I hope to witness it year after year with more activities, brighter and grander spectacles. 

3 comments:

  1. wow it must have been a sight to behold! sana maka attend ako next time, ang mahal nga lang kasi sa thunderbird :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. You have a wonderful blog! Keep it up....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...