Balay Anito Falls | Santol La Union

I had always been fascinated by waterfalls. As a kid, I used to draw them in a Sibika class assignment or project asking us to draw a favorite body of water. There was something about this body of water that soothes and makes me happy. Since I had some time off from work, I hopped on a motorcycle, clung to the driver and off we went, to visit the Balay Anito Falls in Santol, La Union.






It took us about 10 minutes of curves uphill from the Poblacion to reach Brgy. Lettac Sur, the entrance to the falls. We parked the motorcycle and started to walk along the path, passing by rice fields and farm animals. There's no entrance fee to the falls.


 About 20 minutes of walking, I was panting already. We were only halfway I guess. Alright, waterfalls are always located deep in the forest or mountain, there is no other way of reaching them than by walking, hiking, more walking and more hiking.

I took some snaps during rest periods. I used to catch dragonflies when I was younger together with my playmates. The blue and red ones were the most difficult to catch I believe.

We passed by ankle-deep waters that was part of the river. The cool water somehow refreshed my aching soles. A few more minutes and we heard the body of water splashing loudly somewhere. The last challenge supposedly before reaching the falls was by clinging to exposed tree roots to get down to the side of the falls. Oh boy, with shaking knees and cold feet, I could not do it. I opted for the other steeper path of going around the falls instead.


With sweat dripping down my face, aching legs and parched throat, I just stood for a minute and gazed at the wonderful sight before me. There was something about the falls that mesmerized me. It was probably nature itself communicating to me and calming my senses. 
 Balay Anito Falls or the 'house of unseen friends or anitos' has a 20-meter deep base. Too deep for a dip, I was contented splashing its cold water to my weary leg muscles. We ate lunch on one of the rocks, offered some of it to the anitos and enjoyed starring at the falls' beauty. We had the falls to ourselves so everything was peaceful with only the sound of the water splashing at its base.

A few steps down was a smaller version, a shallower one. The rocks around it were a bit slippery though. Being cautious of my camera, I had to move inch by inch thinking I might slip any moment.


Time seems to fly when you're having fun, a few hours after lunch, it was time to pack up and head back to where we came from. It was a fulfilling day, a day with nature, a day to remember.

6 comments:

  1. ... thank you for the info, my wife and I are already planning to go there tomorrow,
    -- regie
    san fernando city la union

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I woild just like to ask how was your trip to Balay Anito Falls with your wife? I'm looking forward to checking out the falls. :)
      -arian, MNL

      Delete
  2. hello, thank you for your informative blog. may i just ask if Santol is just along the way to San Juan or after? Do buses coming from Manila also pass along this area? Me and my friends are thinking to add Balay Anito Falls as sidetrip during a weekend surf. Thanks!
    -arian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this. I might visit this waterfall next month along with other majestic falls in La Union.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your article about the falls is very much misleading. U did not mention that we are going to face a very extreme TREKKING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! May i know what was your experience for you to say that you had to face very extreme trekking? I visited this falls some 5 years ago and the trek back then was not extreme. I am no longer updated with the condition of trail or path leading to the falls. A lot may have changed through the years, we may not have passed/trekked the same paths. What was written in this article was what we experienced first hand that time with no intention to mislead anyone.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...